Back from Bali

Well I had planned on blogging each day that we were in Bali. If you don’t keep track you always seem to forget the little things.  However I had also anticipated that my six month old would sleep!!  What with all the the sun and swimming. Since the latter never happened nor did the former!

We left for Bali on the 17th of October. This was the second time for Jon, Jayden and I. First time with two kids. And the first holiday with Jon’s Mum. Both the kids flew pretty well – it’s roughly 3 hours flight from Perth. Taj slept for a little and Jayden entertained himself with his iPod, watching a few cartoons and playing some games. Before we knew it we were getting whisked off by two porters carrying our luggage and off to find a van big enough to fit all of us, our luggage and the stroller!

It’s so strange having the kids in the car with no car seat and SO much more work! Taj is fidgety at the best of times so having him on your lap with so much to look at out the windows is a pain in the bum!  I love the feeling you get when you land in Bali. It’s only 3 hours away and it truly is a different world. Talk about a culture shock.  Children riding mopeds in horrendous traffic. Babies jammed in between parents on mopeds. Side by side markets selling the exact same items, massive KFC’s in the middle of a closed down row of shops… Just bizarre really!

I forgot how fond the Balinese are of children. Every Taxi driver, waitress and shop attendant made an effort to talk to the boys. Many of them asking Taj “Where you from?”  I couldn’t tell you if they really did expect him to answer or not? The Taxi was about 30 minutes to Nusa Dua. We’d never stayed in Nusa Dua before and I was really looking forward to seeing it for myself. The pictures looked like Paradise and it did not disappoint.  We waited in the lobby to get checked in and the boys were presented with a little stuffed toy each. We had a beautiful welcome drink and then headed up to our two bedroom apartment.

We were so keen to get in the pool I actually forgot to take pictures of the apartment when we arrived and it ended up pretty messy afterwards so I have no pictures; but it was a lovely large 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, self contained apartment with a large balcony.

We had a quick look around, dumped the suitcases and dashed off to check out the swimming pool. All the way through the plane ride, customs and the taxi ride, Jayden had been asking to go for a swim so we didn’t make him wait much longer.

Taj’s first holiday and also first time in a swimming pool

The pool was a nice big two tiered lagoon style pool. With little island of palm trees which helped separate it up and made it easy to find your own little patch to play around in.

Jayden had a really great time swimming with his Daddy and showing off. He really got his confidence up in the last few days and was swimming with his vest quite a long way unsupported by us.

The first night for dinner we were tired and didn’t feel like venturing far. The hotel had Chinese themed buffet dinner so we tried that … It was nothing to rave about and quite expensive really. Jayden ordered a hot dog from the menu. What came out was a horrible sausage on a crunchy bread roll filled with salad. Nothing like the menu picture but he did eat the sausage and chips.

Then there was some entertainment as a band came around and sang in a Chinese style. They asked for our request and we requested Twinkle twinkle little star (for the kids) and Pretty Woman which they did and it was very sweet. Jon got up and tried to play the double bass and Jayden was dancing away on my lap.

We got a little fright when we got the bill though, it was nearly $100 which is expensive for Bali really.

The Buffet breakfast was pretty good and Jayden enjoyed his fair share of Waffles and Eggs. After Breakfast it was usually a swim while Taj napped in the pram. One day we went down the street to a few markets on the road. I bought some sunglasses and dresses but nothing major. Nusa Dua really is much more relaxing than the Kuta/Legian area. I found the market stall owners in Nusa Dua very friendly and perhaps the prices are slightly steeper than in Kuta but it’s worth it if you ask me.

One day (don’t ask me which one … I was pretty sleep deprived) we took a blue cab to Tanjung Benoa and got a glass bottom boat over to turtle island. Jon, Jay and I had done this trip last time we were in Bali and this time probably wasn’t quite as good. The boat driver didn’t stop for very long to look at the fish which was really the reason I had wanted to do it. Jayden loved seeing the big turtles though and even got in with the bats!! He was very upset with me for telling him that they were too scary for me and there was no way I was getting in there!

We ate most nights at Bali Collections which had a really nice atmosphere, tasty, very reasonably priced food. We would feed 3 adults and a kids meal, all with drinks for around $40.  We pack a spray bottle and fill it with drinking water to cool us down in the heat. One day we were having lunch at one of the Prada restaurants at Collections and Jayden turned around and shot a waitress square in the face with the water! Luckily she thought it was quite funny. A few times the waitresses took Taj for a little walk so we could quickly wolf down the last of a meal. What I wouldn’t give for an uninterrupted meal sometimes! One morning after a 6am wake up Jayden was really hungry so Jon took him to breakfast on his own. When my mother-in-law Bernice, Taj and I headed down we ran into them heading back up to get ready for a swim. Jon took Taj with him and on day 5 I got my first enjoyable breakfast! It’s the little things!

Most of the time really was spent around the pool. Sometimes with a well-timed-in-between-breastfeeds-cocktail. It must be the heat but those cocktails really go to my head, and I find it hard to justify the $10 per drink that they charge at the hotels.

We did head down to the beach club one day towards the end. It honestly looks like a postcard.

Jayden, Bernice and I indulged with a gelato while Taj had a nap with Jon at the bar listening to Bob Marley. The pizza there was actually really good and the water cool and refreshing compared to the bath water temperature of the hotel swimming pool.

Jon and I were both able to grab 2 hours each and sneak off to the Spa for a pamper session. Foot bath, body scrub and body massage. It was really relaxing and enjoyable at the time but god my shoulder blade hurt the next day. Not sure if it was her or just from rocking my 8 kilo baby 2 hrs a day but I could barely move my arm the next day. After the body scrub you got coated in yoghurt and then hopped into a gorgeous bamboo flow shower to clean off. It was quite hilarious hearing Jon talking to a honeymooning couple we met in the pool, explaining to them how after the massage they coat you in MAYONNAISE!!!

Traveling with 2 kids one of which is 6 months old never seemed like it would be an easy task and I think we did do pretty well. The first night trying to convince Taj to sleep in the portacot was definitely the hardest, having to tag-team Jon at 2 am because I was exhausted. Closely followed by 10:30pm flight being delayed until 11:15 with no seats to be found in the part of the airport we were. I’m so glad I chose to be cheeky and lie Jayden down in a cafe’s booth (at the price of two coffees – thanks Bernice!) So he got a little rest, they both slept on the plane home as well so it wasn’t a complete nightmare.

I was really sad to leave Bali this time around, and now all we have to do is work out where we should stay in March!!

Well this blog has taken me all day to write, in between coffee with a friend, 3 loads of washing and general kids stuff. Now I’m off to tidy up before the hubby gets home! Until next time …


One thought on “Back from Bali

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s